Re: [at-l] hiya!

Hello and welcome. Last week I was in real strong winds, sleet, snow and
rain on top of Mt Rogers. I have to agree with Orange Bug on the double
bagging. I have some stuff sacks that a friend made for me. I applied a
water proofing and used seam seal. I prefer the slight extra weight of my
sacks to replacing plastic garbage bags. I also use a pack cover, no such
thing as over kill when it comes to having wet camp clothes and sleeping
bag.

In that storm I was in, the water was blown right through my water
repellent pack cover and wind pants. Sometime there is no way to keep all
the wet out. So, the main thing is to have a back up plan. I think this
also applies to the stolen pack scenario. On the section hike I was just
on, I met 3 men who left their packs in what they thought was a concealed
hiding place and hitched to a town. On their return they found that their
stuff was gone, all except their hiking poles. Their homeowner insurance
will replace most of their stuff but not all; something about a
deductible and not having proof of all they had.

After thinking about their trouble, I sorta roughed out an emergency plan
in the event that ever happens to me. First, I'll never let my pack out
of my sight unless I have it lock up in a motel or some such. Next, I'll
have a mail drop box at home, marked for emergency. It will contain
traveler checks and replacement gear that is cheap: plastic water
bottles, my old cook kit, clothes, my old headlamp, etc. Oh yes, it will
have a gear list and an inventory so I can make a single pass through an
outfitters to get what I don't already have.

Now a question for our legal eagles (that's Pooh) or Wildbill, who ever
answers first. What constitutes proof of the gear you have? Their
insurance assumed they had a pack, tent and sleeping bag but required
proof of everything else. Please don't tell me sales slips, I didn't keep
mine.  Hopeful
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.