[at-l] Htich hiking

>wanderlust filled semester. The one thing that I'm worried >about is  hitch hiking??? I live in a relatively small town, >walk to classes, grocery, movies, what not, and haven't had >much experience thumbing a ride. I'm just curious about some >other peoples first experiences?

Did not hitchike at all until my first long backpacking trip (the LT in '97). Felt awkward at first, but you get used to it.
Locals are used to backpackers, and will genreally pick up someone shouldering a pack.

The exceptions are high tourists area where backpacking is a side show. Had a heck of a time getting a ride into Ocqhossuc (SP?!?!?!?) Maine, but caught a ride the following day via another road that goes in the same area. This was near Rangley, ME and I am guessing the drivers of the cars with New York and New Jersey plates were not used to seeing heavily bearded and scary looking hikers hitchiking. :D

So, to wrap up this ramble....hitch-hiking was something I had to get used to. Growing up in sub-urbia, it was drilled in my head as one of the big no-nos in life. (Like no swimming atleast until 1 hr after you ate and if I run around with sticks, I will poke on my brothers' eyes out) But I soon realised with a little patience, I can get a lift from a friendly local who is used to backpackers.