[at-l] hiya!

Hiya,
    I'm a new comer to the list, I am finishing college this spring, and
using this coming summer and fall to prepare for the trail. I've dreamed
of thru-hiking ever since I first set foot on the trail when I was
seven. I'm very excited, and am currently experiencing a long,
wanderlust filled semester. The one thing that I'm worried about is
hitch hiking??? I live in a relatively small town, walk to classes,
grocery, movies, what not, and haven't had much experience thumbing a
ride. I'm just curious about some other peoples first experiences?
Positive/Negative? It's a significant part of the experience and it
seems many of the more comical, and sometimes scary stories occur on the
side of the road. Weeks of rain, blood thirst horse flies, and nettles I
can skip and grin though :) , throwing my bag into the back of a pick
up, and watching it drive off down the road with out me would be a
pretty hard blow.  :(

    Speaking of weeks of rain I'm also interested in what type, brand of
pack covers people use.  I've seen as many people swear by their pack
covers as swear at them.  What works best for you???

As far as children:
    I feel very luck to have parents that took me backpacking and
hiking, as a once "trail tot", I thing it's one of the greatest
experiences you can share with your kids.  It's definitely instilled an
environmental ethic and appreciation in me.  In a progressive world of
technology, media, computers, whizzes, bangs, and clanks, it's important
that kinds know there are many more important things than the rat
race...

    Another side note, is anyone interested in Cartography, or trail
related GIS?

Shane