[at-l] Perils on the Pinhoti

Just heard from Nina Saturday evening. My room-mate was nice enough to let me use his phone due to the wonderful (HA) service of the local phone company, but that is another story..

Anyways, when she gets back, she is going to have a heck of a trip report. Highlights include flash floods, walking through the woods when tornadoes were nearby, (temporarily) losing her tent and having to build an emergency shelter out of her Tyvek ground cloth, losing her glasses and Lekis.

She was warm and dry when I talked to her Saturday evening. She was spending the night at Cheaha state lodge on Mt. Cheaha (Alabama's highest point).

A hiker slack-packing from Key West to Cape Gaspe' was nice enough to help her out. His wife drives the RV to a road crossing to meet him each night. They were nice enough to shuttle her into town to get some new glasses. BEing able to see the trail is a good thing! While she stayed with them, she had FOUR tacos in one sitting. For those who have not met Nina, she is a petite woman.(Makes me look tall. ;-D )
 Her finishing one taco is par for the course!
Guess fording raging streams picks up the ole appetite. :D

Due to the ah, interesting adventures in the early part of her trip, her intenerary has been changed. She should be back late Thursday evening.

So long story short: she thinks that after her adventures in Alabama, the AT should be within her grasp now! :D
She also is leaving one guy in Colorado anxious to  see her.

until next time,

Mags ..who is having a bit easier time typing at his desk