[at-l] hiking as meditation

Lynn and All -

I've long known that one of the reasons I hike is for this very thing:
the trance, the zone, the headspace. It's not as if I take leave of my
senses and just become numb, or that I develop blinders and only see the
trail a few feet at a time. But there is a rhythm that develops,
sometimes independant of the rhythm of my feet (expecially when that
rhythm is disrupted my uneven trail). I often find myself with a song or
phrase going through my head when I hike, and if I'm aware enough, I'll
note that my breathing has synched up to that song or phrase.

In addition, when I get into that mode, I usually become _more_ aware,
_more_ present in the moment. I'll have that "I can see every vein on
every leaf" kind of vision. And at the same time, I'll fancy myself able
to feel and control every muscle fiber, every sinew and bone of my own
body as it moves me along. ABout the only thing I lose track of during
those wonderful periods of hiking is time.

I tell you, that's good drugs. :)

moira

--
m o i r a   s t o n e | actor.singer | fool for love |
http://users.rcn.com/moru