Re: [at-l] Define the phrase

Why do I feel like I'm the center of this thread? That's my problem to deal with
along with the meaning to ME of HYOH. Felix, you are right, it has more to do with
what others think or expect.

Last year, I felt I was not hiking-my-own-hike because I was with a group on a
pre-planned schedule at a pace I could not maintain. I didn't want to leave the
trail and felt a lot of guilt because of the two sponsors, family, friends, and my
sense of failure. Family was the most difficult to deal with when I did abandon the
hike.

This year, though the problem involved knees instead of the back, the pressures were
much the same--family, friends, and a sense of failure. I also recognized (this
time) another pressure for me--there would probibly not be another chance for
physical and financial reasons. I also didn't want to "give in to the reality of my
disabilities--still don't) and so I wanted to keep up with the other hikers.

TO HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE means for me to ignore all pressures (within and without) No
one else is experiencing what you are. What you are experiencing should be the only
pressure. Allow the experience of the hike to be it's own fulfillment. The
experience should be liberating, not enslaving.

I may never hike on the AT  again. That too is hiking my own hike. I did learn, as I
mentioned to someone earlier, I enjoy the hikers more than the trail.I've climbed
higher mountains than Katadin,  hiked sweatier trails, faced bigger bears, forded
large rivers,frozen my tush off in Alaska (not to mention ND), dispaired of finding
water in the Persian Gulf, fought hunger often... Now I need challanges in keeping
with my physical, mental condition.

This is not how I normally spend Sunday morning, but It's good.
Thank you Coosa and Felix,
Turtle

--
Turtle