Re: [at-l] Technology on the Trail

I'll toss my final thoughts (I hope) intot his.

Jim, I think I've stated my reasons for why I carry a computer. I do
enjoy writing. I find that as I write things down the things I am writing
about becomre more permanently fixed in my memory. In a sense they become
more "real." I travel to explore both the literal world around me and the
world that is within me. Writing is an important part in the exploration.

I could write with pen and paper, but as I've said before it'd be much
less and rather hard to read later on. I could choose not to write
anything, but I've tried that and don't like it. The experience is not as
deep. As I write about a day, or something I did in that day, I tend to
really think about it. Initially, as the experience happens I enjoy adn
learn from the experience. Later, if I choose to write about it I think
more deeply about it and how it relates to other things that are going
on. I learn things at the time of the experience and then again as I
write about it.

If I were just writing down notes like: "got up at 7, broke camp 8:30,
sunny and cold but it got warmer, lots of PUDS but Marys Rock was really
wonderful - took a nap there. Pass Mtn. Shelter is nice. Heard numerous
birds today, think I heard a der in the distance, had to be something big
anyway. I'm tired of poptarts." Then pen and paper would be adequate.
But, that isn't how I write.

You're right carrying a computer or any other tool is going to change
your hike. The decision to carry anything is a personal one. For the
gains I am willing to suffer the extra weight.

  ** Ken **

ps- In towns I probably would not bother trying to get on the net. Unless
I was staying somewhere for two nights (i.e., zero mile day) it just
wouldn't be worth it. Phone calls to my parents would be enough.

**        krk@home.msen.com           http://home.msen.com/~krk     **