[at-l] No Resrtictions On Leaving Springer

At 10:08 AM 2/24/00 -0500, hopefl@juno.com wrote:
>I met 4 hikers at the Rock Gap shelter yesterday. They were telling me
>that beginning on March 1 the rangers are going to assign start days at
>Springer. According to their report only about 10 hikers per day will be
>"allowed" to start. The rationale is that there are many hundreds
>expected to start in March and April.

Last year a rumor was circulating that limits were being put on number of
folks allowed to start from Springer.  When I volunteered at the ATC I
asked about this and here's what I was told.
The ATC will not limit number of folks who leave Springer per Laurie
Potteiger.  What they are trying to do is educate folks that it may be
better if you didn't leave on the high volume days such as March 1, March
15 and April 1 and weekends.  They have 2 charts that shows number of folks
who started northbound and southbound by the day and week.  Mid-week is
time when least number of folks start unless it's one of the days I
mentioned above.  They are also suggesting a flip flop hike may be a way to
avoid the crowds.
John O

http://www.monmouth.com/~johno/index.html