Re: [at-l] Health Insurance Revisited Again For the Second Time

The short answer is "NO".

The long answer is, "just what do you think health insurance is for,
helping out people? Puh-leeze!"

If you have pre-existing problems and need the prescription benefit, expect
to have to chunk out the big bucks for the Cobra. You might want to run the
numbers and see if you would do as well with a cheaper policy, and
purchasing meds on your own. Some find it helpful to purchase annual
supplies in other countries (Canada comes to mind) at marked discounts
compared to US, often paying for the trip. Sometimes your doc can help out
by adjusting meds to cheaper versions (often as effective but less
convenient dosage patterns).

Insurance in the US is not a means of sharing risk and reducing cost to the
individual. It is a means of prepayment given the high administrative costs
of insurance companies, the demand of dividends to stock holders, and a
focus on current profitability (rather than long term investment in a
healthy population). A cheap individual policy when young makes some sense,
especially if injuries on the trail are the greatest risk. If you are older
or have pre-existing conditions, the insurance company only sees you as a
costly customer. Welcome to the ranks of the 43M Americans without
healthcare insurance. Expect the situation to get really bad when the next
recession roles around, and a bunch of baby boomers lose jobs and discover
no insurance benefits are available.

OrnageBug
Atlanta, GA