Re: [at-l] A.T. Hike/Run

1) 2-3 inches of snow? Now *that's* a reasonable trail-running depth. Not the 38.5 inches of fluffy/wetness had at the Ruck. And the winds! Hard.
2) Smokies AT in March? Your Mt. Mitchell run will inform you a bunch, but a basic idea, as if you didn't know, is "who knows?" Could be 60/sunny/windless, could be white-out with 4' drifts, with a pretty broad/flat distribution of outcomes. I'd bring shorts AND sneauxshoes. Or shorts and two days' worth of extra food and a board (bored) game. Or a sellfone so you can answer the "I'd like to call a friend" call from ABC. Something.
3) Fontana from Lynchburg? 81 to 41 (@ knoxville — there's a beltway of some number to save you a few miles) to 23/74 south toward Fontana, IMO. Other choices will be heavy impact on time.

Happy Trials.
Ah, Trails.
SneauxToe.