Re: [at-l] Re: purity

In a message dated 2/12/00 23:05:43, thewitt@fairchildsemi.com writes:

>Then one day, someone showed up in Vermont after skipping ahead  several
>hundred
>miles, and told a woman he was trying to impress that he was a thru-hiker

I guess as with buying a fake Rolex or trophy antlers for the wall or
whatever is used to impress, the need to be admired and to achieve worth at
any price is greater than the need for integrity and honesty.

When I've run across such fakery, I think these folks surely couldn't have
deluded themselves into thinking they do have a Rolex or have thruhiked or
whatever. I wonder how they could possibly gain any satisfaction from their
claims.  Not only do they not have the achievement, but they've lied about it
too.

Of course, this assumes that the things they claim mean something to them,
and maybe I've got it backwards. Maybe somebody falsely claims to be a
thruhiker because it means nothing to him, but he knows it means something to
those he is trying to impress.

I seem to be particularly inarticulate and fumbling with thoughts. Maybe it's
too early in the morning or maybe it's just because it's hard to understand
why somebody would want to wear a 2000-miler patch which throws their
dishonesty back in their teeth every time they look at it. Anyway, sorry for
the rambling.
Vcat