Re: [at-l] or deluxe bivy

>Never got the knack for setting it up in falling weather.
>
>If I set up before the weather began to fall, it did great.

I've used a TNF Soloist bivy quite a bit. I keep my bag in the bivy all the time. Just pull it out and lay it out. The bag can't get wet. I use a Tyvex tarp and my poles with it for real rain. it only adds about 6 Oz The combination is very flexible for rocks, shelters, behind small wind breaks, very small clearings, etc. and only weights around 2 lbs 6 Oz and is free standing. The TNF bivy unzips down the side and has dual hoops at the head. It is non claustrophobic (for me). Has good ventilation (as long as you don't close up the back vent completely) and keeps you dry. Works for me, just too damned expensive (I got mine as a "make nice" from TNF.

Sign-UP for your FREE Backpacker Email at http://www.backpacker.com/email
P.S. Click here to get a FREE trial issue of BACKPACKER:  http://www.backpacker.com/subs/home.rhtml/I9KF001