[at-l] Possums & More Animules

One recent year a possum took up residence under the workbench in my
garage.
I had to call the country animal control, set a humane cage trap, and get

animal control to release the possum far from the garage.  They might be
cute
when they're little, but they're nasty when cornered, scared my cats to
death, and the critters stink lots worse than a thruhiker--especially
when
living in your garage.

In the same vein as our amazement at the range of possums in North
America,
has it struck anyone else that a few other species are making a comeback?

For example a state forestry guy told me that beavers (once virtually
erradicated in Florida) are becoming a real pest in the Florida
panhandle.
The critters are gnawing down Aunt Bea's favorite dogwood, signs on
wooden
poles, timber, etc.  Coyotes are down as far as the Ocala National
Forest,
and probably farther south than that.

What's next? Will we see the eastern woods bison along the AT?  Yes, I
know
that we're still losing species everyday, but some animules seems to have
remarkable ability to adapt to the horrors we've committed on the
environment.  Anyone else know of recovering/spreading populations?

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.