[at-l] Ruck Stove contest question

At 03:18 PM 2/7/00 EST, you wrote:
>By the way - I've heard a lot of joking about the Big Boil challenge, the
>demeanor of the Judge, and seen a picture of the winner . . .
>
>BUT - could someone tell us non-2000-ruckers? how the whole thing went? Did
>any particular stove really bomb out?  Which stoves did the best?
>Comparisons??
>
>Inquiring minds want to know . . . (and if the detail's have been posted
>already, I must have missed them . . . sorry :) <g>
>
>The Redhead ( who is STILL carrying her Peak 1 Featherweight 442 dual fuel
>stove - totally unfashionable, definitely kinda heavy, but STILL WORKING
>after 8 years . . . )
>* From the AT-L |  Need help? http://www.backcountry.net/faq.html  *

Redhead
It went something like this.  On the back porch a group had joined together
to show theri wares and talk about gear.  Well Woodelf had a version of
Chase's stove and he was tinkering with it on the picnic table.  All of a
sudden stoves began to appear all over the place.  The Ruck Boil Off was in
full swing.  Now as is the norm it was total anarchy.  Who was to go first
and so on it was going no where.  All of a sudden a voice spoke and you
could see a calm fall amongst the horde.  It was "The Judge" getting
everything in order and running smoothly as a fine Swiss clock.  Woodelf
started to boil a pot of water using the alcohol homemade version and did
quite well in deed.  Now things get a little foggy again it's been a while
you know.  A trangia was next or was it an esbit I don't recall the order.
So we'll say the esbit was next using a wing stove with the esbit tab.  I
forgotten who was using this type stove.  A mind is a terrible think to
lose.  The esbit worked well and accomplished it's task.  As the esbit was
almost finished the contestant using a peak stove with propane/butane
cannister started up his stove to ensure it was in proper working order and
then it happened.  Yup it really happened just like that.  The wrath of
"The Judge" fell upon this poor little hiker.  He was scolded for
pre-heating his stove an given a 30 second penalty on his final time.  He
was devastated and tried to speak calmly with "The Judge" but she would
hear none of it.  Her decision was final and that was that.  Calls to the
Hikers Supreme Court went unaswered and this poor little hiker had to
accept this unfair burden.  Needles to say the peak stove did well but the
spark wasn't there.  We then had a stove that was almost as old as the
operator.  It was one of them foreign ones from across the big water.
Sloetoe can tell about his barnstorming stove that used dry gas as fuel.
Sorry I truly forgot what the name of the stove is. Help me out here Tom.
Then Photon entered his whisperlite and stole 1st place hands down.  I even
tried to add an extra pint of water to the pot but "The Judge" stopped me
dead in my tracks.  After Photon won he was awarded a one of a kind Stove
Hat to honor his winning.  All in all we had a great time and I look
forward to next years boil off.  Tom's stove name starts with a "S" I
think?  Or is it that Stove starts with a "S"?  Sloetoe help me out,please?
John O

http://www.monmouth.com/~johno/index.html