Re: [at-l] physical prep

I generally walk a couple hours a day (10-20 miles)--the perks of teaching
night classes--and dance on weekends.  However, I've changed strategy for
the last few months.  I'm trying to condition all the muscles I don't get
to use enough when I walk.  For the first time I'm doing some weight
lifting, kept biking later than usual, using the rowing machine at the gym
and swimming.  I figure that I'll be overcompensating on walking muscles
very soon.  I'd like to be in all-round decent average physical condition
to start instead.

PS it's squalling out here again!  Was in the 40's this morning and
everything was melting, now we are being literally dumped on!  Might be a
good berry season in VT afterall this summer.
			EJ

At 02:42 PM 2/7/00 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 02/07/2000 9:12:02 AM EDT, ferguson@cwf.org writes:
>
><< I agree with whoever said physical prep was important. It's hard enough
>be
> out on the trail mentally without adding the physical difficulty to it. I
> have not through hiked - only a week at a time, but it's still the same, I
> think. I have learned (the hard way) to spend a good six weeks preparing
for
> that 1 week hike. My hips and knees thank me for it later and I enjoy the
> hike a lot more.
>
> For getting in shape, I climb stairs with a daypack loaded with bottles of
> water.  Up and down ad nauseum. Tedious but it works. And since the trail
is
> not as neat as stairs, I vary the stride by doing one and/or two steps at a
> time, lead with the same leg all the time, go sideways and backwards
>(holding
> the handrail!)
>  >>

>As someone who has thru-hiked three times. I can say that the better shape
>that your in, the easier the start of the hike will be.
>
>Before my first thru-hike, I trained my walking about 10 miles a day.
Wearing