Re: [at-l] Sneaushoes. wish i had a pair.

very funny story kahley.
snoeshoes huh? after this weekend i am thinking they might be a good thing.

i went skiing the other day for the first time. woah that was scary.  and
the boots hurt my feet so much i coudl only do it one day. so i was up in
the mountain at a ski lodge with relatives and no way home(fully expecting
this i packed my pack full of stuff) and so i grabbed my pack and climbed up
the mountains. in the ski area area.  i foudn out one of the ski trails was
closed for some reason and safe to hike so i opted to clib up that trail.
to the top of the mountain.  i was 3/4 the way up the mountain when i decide
i would take a small short cut at a ski crossing so i woudl nto endanger
myself or skiers coming down double lack diamond slopes.  i dont want to be
an asshole hiker in the way on ski slopes.  so i steped off the ski trail
into the snow and to my suprise i sunk up to my lower ribs in deep powdery
snow. and was stuck.  so i took my hiking poles and dug them in the ground
and draged my self to a more packed area. it was interesting. now i am think
snoe shoes sinking in only 12 inches would be do-able  so the four inches of
sink you got woudl be great :) but i have never used snowshoes... however i
might consider buying a pair if i am gonna stay up north so i can hike with
them in the winter.

imagine if soemone fell and ended upside down with your snow shoes on top of
the snow bank...  THAT WOUDL BE FUNNY!

i wanted to see two shelter up there but i had to abandon that idea the
second i walked off the packed snow.

what great views you get on mountains in the winter I LOVE IT!

on a side note ski poatrol was the nices bunch of people i have every seen.
they offered to show me two shelters in the area i coudl sleep at and lots
of other info.  but i had to decline telling them the pack was only for
training although i coudl have stayed out all night i was jsut there day
hiking(to bad i did not have snoeshoes then i coudl have gone).  (btw i did
NOT get in trouble with the ski patrol they were jsut talkign to me when i
was at the lodge on the top of the mountain and i was the only one up there
with out skis as i ditched my pack in a snow bank for a while and i think
they were curious)

moral of the story ski patrol is nicer than summer time rangers and i wonder
why.

hiking up that mountain with a pack is prolly good training for the AT i
want to do more of that casue it is fun and it will be good training.  but
now I realize the snow is hindering me from that goal. this is the first
time i have ever said this but i can not wait until the snow melts away at
least to a walkable depth..

wisperlight