[at-l] Sneaushoes. What a weekend!

Well it was a week late in coming, bet we had just glorious sunny weather
with soaring temps!  I'm continuing my sneauxshoe practicing.....hmmmm.
I bought them on ebay as an impulse because they were sooo cheap and
I guess you get what you pay for.  I promise I did pick ones appropriate
to my weight, but I still sink about 3-4 in into the powder.  I guess that's
the way it's supposed to be?  I did pretty good I guess, but did fall down
once.  You have no idea what it's like to try and take a step with a 60
pound collie standing on the back of your shoe.  He's old enough to want
to take advantage of the trail I was making but not so old to be content with
my pace.  About the fourth time he did this. I went down. Naturally we were
in a deep drift and I just couldn't get untangled.  The only way I could
continue was to remove a shoe and replace once I got on my feet.  Being
pounced on by dogs didn't help <g>.  Another question....am I supposed to
be using poles for this?  They may have helped me get to my feet but I
didn't seem to need them otherwise.  I stuck to flatfish terrain but was
wondering
how you manage the downs........?  Side step?   On yer butt?  I need a tutorial!