Re: [at-l] Glucosamine and chondroitin

I had planned to stay out of this, but once invited....

I also knew that Glucosamine and chondroitin did nothing. However, there
have been some good studies in good journals indicating benefit and safety.
There is no good reason to expect that these agents should be absorbed and
deposited into cartilage. The best literature is excellent for glucosamine,
and not so good for chondroitin (which is more expensive). We know with
animals and people that there is improvement in function and pain, although
whether actual joint repair occurs is still a controversy.

The adult dose of glucosamine is 1500 mg daily (3 500 mg tabs). There is no
indication of benefit with any particular brand, and no clear indication of
quality between brands and batches. It is much cheaper, and at least as
effective as combinations or single use of chondroitin.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA