Re: [at-l] Physical Preparation

RezFactor@aol.com wrote:

> I've been trying to walk daily on our treadmill, also doing situps, to get in
> better shape. I've noticed that, for one thing, my weight has not dropped
> even one pound. I'm  NOT too worried about this because of all I'd heard
> about the Trail whipping you into shape the first couple weeks. RUNNING, to
> get into shape is nearly out of the question. First, it's too darn cold
> outside in Michigan to do that, and second, I've enough flab that like to
> rumble about as I jog/run. I'm nearly to the point where I will accept what
> shape I'm in presently and start the Trail there. How many others out there
> hear what I'm saying? Is anyone all THAT concerned about physical
> preparation? Should I be?

The one major thing I did wrong was NOT get in better shape.

I suffered for the first few weeks. If you want to see how
badly, just go read the first week or two journal entries
I wrote. The one thing I would definately do differently
is to be in reasonably physical condition when I started.

I was 60+ pounds overweight and had not done more than a
casual hike in nearly 10 years. It was a rude awakening!

-p

--
Paddler
http://paddler99.trailstories.com