Re: [at-l] dehydrated food

"Kenneth R. Knight" <krk@home.msen.com> wrote:

> I'm confused. When drying meats, other than ground beef, I keep reading
> that you just need to season and then dry. But, with ground beef (let
> alone hamberger) you are told to first cook it before drying.  Here, Jim,
> says use raw ground beef.
>
> So, which is it?

Both.

The reason you cook hamburger is to remove as much of the fat
as possible. This is also why hamburger jerky has a shorter
shelf life than lean whole meat jerky.

Jerky is made from raw, dried meat.

Cooked lean meat that is then shredded and dried has virtually
nothing in common with Jerky when it's time to eat.

Help a little?

-Paddler
AT Class of 1999 GA>ME
http://paddler99.trailstories.com