[at-l] Flying Stoves ( was aaarrgh!!!!!!!)

Greetings,

Based on a discussion on the other list, Airtran is as sensitive as
Continental on stoves, but they are both wrong on the issue.  Airtran is
extremely sensitive after their oxygen generator mishap that caused the
Everglades crash when they were known as Valujet.  At
http://cas.faa.gov/cas/these.html the FAA website states:

Other Hazardous Materials:
Dry ice, gasoline-powered tools, wet-cell batteries, camping equipment WITH
FUEL (emphasis added), radioactive materials (except limited quantities),
poisons, infectious
substances...

The actual FAA regs (hazmat manual) states that camping gear is an INDICATOR
to an employee that fuel may be present.  Their dangerous materials list
states
"stove WITH fuel".  No fuel, no harm, particularly with stoves that have no
fuel container.  If you want to play it very safe in regard to being able to

explain yourself if your bag is searched, buy a new bottle to take with you,

leave it open and, if applicable, in its original packaging.  No packaging,
stuff your receipt in it to prove its recent purchase.  Airing out your
stove is a good idea.  I've spoken with Delta before about stoves and
bottles, and they were okay with the stove, but I was told an unused bottle
would be necessary.  That's what I've done the last four times I've flown up

to hike, although I've never been questioned.

Delta matches Airtran's and Continental's rates to Atlanta from time to
time, so you might want to consider them.  The following is from Delta's
website, including a number to call and ask questions:

Dangerous Goods

Federal law prohibits hazardous materials from being included in either
checked or carry-on baggage. Items such as explosives, compressed gases,
oxidizers, corrosives, flammable liquids and solids, loaded firearms,
radioactive materials and poisons are considered hazardous. Some common
examples of prohibited items include, paints, mace/tear gas, lighter fluid,
oxygen bottles and fireworks. Other common items which, in limited
quantities, may be carried within baggage include hairspray, perfume, and
certain medicines that are necessary for customer use during their journey.
If you have questions or concerns about a specific item, please contact
Delta Air Cargo at 1-800-352-2746.

Good luck getting this resolved.  When we fly, we carry a whisperlight with
no fuel, a new empty fuel bottle, and arrange for fuel when we get there.

Take Care,

Tim Rich
Kennesaw, GA

Visit http://freeworld.excite.com