Re: [at-l] Tent in shelter (was bivies)

You don't know when someone might come in late.  That's why if you do
something like this, you must be prepared to knock it down - quickly and
quietly should others need the space.

In the same vein, even if you aren't setting your tent up, if there are only
a few in the shelter, I still try to make sure to leave a space completely
clear in case latecomers show up. I don't want to have to move my stuff in
the middle of the ngiht when I'm groggy.

FWIW, on my entire thruhike, I only had two occurences of someone coming in
late.  Once was truly late (~11:00pm) and the other was just after dark
(~8:00pm) but it seemed really late because there were three of us in the
shelter, and two were already sleeping.  In the first case, the shelter was
sort of full but we all woke up to make room anyway.  In the second case,
there was plenty of room so nobody had to scramble to make space.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99