[at-l] Lighter backpack

EJ, one option to consider on backpacks is the Kelty Gale.  The Kelty
website at http://www.kelty.com/ lists the Gale as 2 lbs. 10 oz. with a
capacity of 3500 cu. in.  Go to their website, click on "Storm" under the
internal frame category, and then click on the Gale for specifics.

Just, FYI, the actual weight of the pack (as taken out of the carton and
placed on a Post Office scale) is 3 lbs. 2 oz.  If you add a pack cover to
the weight you would be adding another approx. 5 oz.  The MSRP of the Gale
is $90.  I ordered mine from some internet supplier at that price and got it
within a week.  If you are good at surfing within websites you can find this
pack at http://www.backpackgear.com/ on sale for $76.50.  Follow their
"fastpack" link and you should find it.  I have one of these in my
possession, but I have not field tested it yet.

I have used the external frame Kelty Tioga on the 452 miles of the AT I have
done so far in two trips.  My Tioga (not the Super Tioga) weighs 5 lbs. 9
oz. without the weight of the pack cover.  If you want to check out other
pack weight items you can check my website at
http://www.oc.edu/staff/phil.heffington