[at-l] Re: spiders...

At 05:00 PM 1/12/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:06:23 -0600
>From: Tom Fort <tjfort@netdoor.com>
>Subject: Re: [at-l] Tall Trail Tales
>
> >  This leads to a very peculiar way of hiking called "blessing
> > the trail"
>
>Last year I hiked the lakeshore trail in the smokies.  A low altitude,
>overgrown, seldom traveled trail.   I've never kissed so many spiders
>in my life.  every 100 yards I was walking into one.  These were
>little black and yellow/red ugly looking ones.   And they would make
>webs across the trail each night!   I can empathize with the crawly
>feeling on the back of the neck!!!    I did start waving my hiking
>stick in front of me with each step.  That gets real old tho.

I always feel sorry for the spiders.  After all, we want to keep the
spiders to eat all those other crawly things.  I felt especially sorry for
them in the afternoons, when I knew that people had already walked the
trail and I was still walking into webs.  Because it wasn't just the first
web of the day; the spiders had obviously spent the rest of the day trying
to rebuild, in vain.  It's pretty sad if you think about it.  A fruitless
effort they could spin(d) their entire lives on...

--Sometime