[at-l] Tall Trail Tales

The problem with being tall and on the trail and hiking with a group is that
they want to put the tall one out front.  That way you (the tall one) gets to
run face first or front first into all the spider webs.  You can clear the
trail for those behind you.

In Florida in the fall spider means these humungo things we call "bananna
spiders."  The spiders are harmless and rather pretty, usually yellow and
brown; however, every encounter leaves you marching on while picking spider
silk off your face for about 5 minutes.  Not to mention trying to figure out
if that tickle approaching your neck is your imagination or the spider.  No
matter how hard I try, it is impossible to avoid every web.  Sometimes you
just don't seem 'em.

This leads to a very peculiar way of hiking called "blessing the trail" in
which the hiker holds his hiking pole or stick out in front of him while
bobbing it up and down or sideways.

I prefer to look for the webs and duck under them if possible.  In the years
when I owned a tall half-Thoroughbred/half Clydesdale, I rode hunt seat but
wore a cowboy hat so that I could tuck my chin in and catch the spiders on
the hat.  It's a lot easier to brush them off a hat than get them out of your
hair.

Problem #2 for me is hiking along watching everyone else walk under some
angled deadfall and realizing a step too late that I am too tall not to hit
it with my head.
You'd think I'd learn, but I'm very slow and ...

Very close to 5'11"
Joan
bluetrail@aol.com