[at-l] Re: [at-l-digest V1 #1449]

Hmmm... the last time I looked into this it was legal to mail some flamable
liquids as long as you met the (rather stringent) postal service requirements.
 The requirements fell into several categories:

(1) Amount: depending on the class of liquid different amounts were mailable.

(2) Packaging: the liquids had to be stored in suitable (the USPS decides what
is suitable, not you or me) containers and packed so that the inner container
would not be damaged in transit (again, they get to say what acceptable
packing is).

(3) Labeling: there were specific labeling reqirements that included (among
other things) the name of the substance and some information about it.

(4) Ground only: the USPS will only ship flamable liquids by ground.

I'm sure there were others.

****************** NOTE *****************
If you want to mail flamables, you'll have to figure out how yourself!  I
don't remember all the rules, and I wouldn't post my interpretation of them if
I did.

The best source I found for information was, suprisingly, not the post office.
 The best source was the safety coordinator at work, since she had to know all
of the regulations on shipping flamable stuff!  I found that many post office
employees did not realize that you could mail the stuff and that I had to walk
them through finding the appropriate regulations.  The supervisors were more
helpful, and I had better luck at the main post office.

I checked this all out as recently as 1998.  It is possible that things have
changed since then, but I doubt it.  I don't know how to explain WildBill's
quote, but I do recall that the postal regulations were rather Byzantine...

All that said, it probably wouldn't be to difficult to mail alcohol ahead in a
drift box.  On the other hand it's pretty cheap and you could just leave your
leftovers in a hiker box.  It would probably be easier.

-- Jim

WHHAWKINS@aol.com wrote:
> Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 01:09:40 EST
> From: WHHAWKINS@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [at-l] fuel
>
> In a message dated 01/10/2000 11:57:27 PM EDT, AThiker@smithville.net
writes:

> << Denatured is fairly easy to get. You can get it at MOST hardware stores.

> The
>  worst part is that you have to buy it by the quart. (If not gallon.) You
can
>  mail it ahead, though. Use plastic, not metallic, bottles. I put mine in a
>  soda  or bottled-water bottle, then a ziplock. I'm not sure if any of the
>  places that sell Coleman by the ounce sell denat. by the ounce as well.
You