RE: [pct-l] GoLite vs. Hipbelt

It would be nice to compare the Breeze vs. the Cloud. However, the Cloud
seems to be more a vapor pack at the moment. I realize that it's available,
but securing or seeing one seems to be next to impossible. Kelty doesn't
sell them over the net and all the dealers I've talked to can't get them.

The high cost of the pack appears to be related to the manufacturing
process. While the cost of the Spectra material is higher than other
fabrics. It requires a relatively small amount of material to make a pack. I
believe the problem is in cutting the fabric to size. It cuts fine using
standard scissors, but in most large manufacturing multiple layers of fabric
are cut at the same time. This significantly reduces the labor. Maybe if
Kelty can get their technical problems worked out we'll actually get to see
some of the packs and at a reasonable price.

The Breeze on the other hand was still in prototype stage when I saw one in
September and it's out now. I know of several people who have them.

It should be noted that this type of pack, single bag and top loading, is
about the simplest sewing project you can make. If you can sew a straight
stitch, you can make one of these packs. Material wise they can be made for
$25 to $40 bucks depending upon the number of bells and whistles.

If you don't want to make one, Lynne Whelden
(http://members.tripod.com/lwgear/) also sells a light weight pack for about
$100.

I also believe that Glen Van Peski (from this list) is planning on making
some of his pack available for purchase
(http://www.home.earthlink.net/~lscholte/peskipak.htm). Glen is that true?

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
Fallingwater Journals - www.fallingwater.com
Pacific Crest Trail Assoc. - www.pcta.org
American Long Distance Hikers Association - West -
www.gorp.com/nonprof/aldhaw