[pct-l] Bear-Resistant Containers

Here's a list of web links I developed while researching
bear cannisters last spring.  I haven't checked these,
so some may be broken.

I read a post in one of the newsgroups by a person who
claimed to be home-making a light-weight cannister from
two bell-shaped stainless-steel mixing bowls.  He never
responded to questions about how well it worked, however.
The idea does sound interesting, though.

In any case, don't think you can make your own out of PVC
or other plastic pipe.  There is no suitable stock on the
market that I could find... anything you can build would
have to be from pipe so heavy as to be unusable.  Many
Ranger Stations/Visitor centers (The one in Bishop, for
example) have what's left of home-made PVC cans on display.
Anything you can make and would want to carry the bears
just munch right through.

General Info:
http://www.pcta.org/plan/bears.shtml
http://users.lmi.net/sundial/knapsack/foodbagging.html