[pct-l] PCT Aspirant Seeking Advice!

Hello to all -- I'm a recent subscriber to this list.  This is my first
posting to it.

I'm in the process of planning a PCT hike for the year 2000 season.  Of
course I'd love to complete the entire trail in one season, but if I can't
I'll be just as happy to complete any substantial stretch of it.  Getting
the time isn't a problem; scrapping together the funds might be.
Fortunately, I already have most of the gear and equipment.

As I go through the effort of planning I've come up with a number of
questions.  I look forward to reading your responses.

(1) How do most people handle boot/shoe replacement?  Do you just go off
trail and buy a pair in town?  Is resoling a feasible option for
boot-wearers?  If so, where are good places to have this done?  (I've
ordered the PCT Town Guide but it hasn't arrived yet.)

(2) I understand that some thru-hikers use their walk to raise funds for
charity.  What's the best way to go about this, and what charities would you
recommend contacting?  What happens if you're forced to quit your hike early
on?

(3) I've heard rumors that backpackers in Oregon have had encounters with
reintroduced grizzlies, some encounters even fatal.  Are grizzlies active in
the terrain through which the PCT runs?

(4) What items of gear did you find yourself sorely lacking -- things you
didn't think you'd need, or hadn't even considered bringing?  (Excluding
jacuzzis)

(5) What items of gear did you find superfluous -- things you thought you'd
have to have but which proved unnecessary or hardly saw use?

(6) I hope to make the side trip up Whitney, since I haven't climbed it yet.
  As a PCT thru-hiker will I still need to obtain the special Whitney zone
stamp?  Will the PCTA handle this for me when I apply for a permit?

Many thanks -- Richard Winterstein