Re: [pct-l] PCT Maps

Ben Schifrin wrote:
> Well, I drew many of the "barely adequate" maps that you mentioned in
> the PCT guidebook, and I'm not even a little bit offended by your
> characterization-- I hate 'em.

I use the guide book maps and have never been led astray by them.  Taken
with the text, some drugstore reading glasses to read the topographic
elevations, and a wrist altimeter, my experience over a large portion of
the trail has been that the maps are adequate for my needs, i.e. to hike
the trail safely, identify landmarks, and find my way.  IMHO, the key is
that they must be used in context with the narrative in the guide.  With
very few exceptions, every landmark, switchback, ravine, trail junction,
etc. mentioned in the text can be identified uniquely on the maps and
correlated with real life.  The locations of landmarks relative to the
trail (or visa versa) is always right on.  I don't think you will find
that to be the case with other maps because that is not their primary
purpose.

Ben, I suspect familiarity has bred a bit of contempt for your maps.
They are elegantly efficient.  Of course I'd prefer full color, printed
on plastic, but then must consider cost versus benefit.  Your humble
little maps lend themselves to highlighting and notetaking with
impunity; if they were pretty I'd be much more reluctant to cut them out
of the book, stuff them into a ziplock in my sweaty pocket, and refer to
them as frequently as I do.

Happy trails, Tom