RE: [pct-l] At home alcohol test

Tom wrote:

>>>Just for grins I placed my three ounce, Primus propane/butane stove in
>>>the deep freeze at -10F with an almost spent Primus Canister. Next day I
>>>took it out and tried to light it.

>>Initially it wouldn't light... The stove spitted and sputtered but very
>>quickly I had a strong flame.

>>This data dispels a couple of myths. First a propane/butane mix works well
>>even at very low temperatures.

---------

Just curious, what sort of temperatures were you operating the stove in?
Unless the operating temperature were also fairly below freezing, then the
test could prove one of two things: a) your particular canisters and stove
operate well in cold conditions, as you attest, or b) your particular
canisters and stove recover well from cold conditions, when lit in a
comparitively warm environment. In the field, when the temps happen to be
-10F, one wouldn't have the luxury of lighting that stove in a warmer
environment, unless you're thinking that the tent interior would be "warmer"
along the lines of your home test conditions. I, for one, am not about to
try working any stove inside an enclosed environment like a tent. Carbon
monoxide, no thanks... I'd like to see a test performed in the field, in sub
zero conditions.

- Blisterfree