RE: [pct-l] Canister Stoves

RE: I used a Hank Roberts (Gerry) stove for years and years.

Butane stoves have come a long way since those days. In general the danger
of a canister jamming open is less than the danger of spilling liquid fuel.
Most hikers I know carry two (2) fuel bottles for liquid fuel stoves because
of this. Most hikers I know that use a butane stove also carry a backup
canister. Snow Peak sells a very small butane canister that is ideal for
backup. Modern butane stoves are almost foolproof. They are lots less
complicated that white gas stoves. Further, since they weigh about 3 ounces,
you can carry a spare.

The real knock on butane stoves for thru hikers is fuel resupply.