Winter Trips Anyone? - was Re: [pct-l] Chinook Pass

At 3:59 PM -0000 11.22.99, Montedodge@aol.com wrote:
> Nov. 22, Chinook Pass is now closed for the year, the snow hath cometh!!!
>This year's weather is suppose to mirror last year's season. Break out the
>snowshoes.
>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *

Ditto for Tioga and Sonora passes as far as the highway signs say; however
last year
they re-opened for a short period, going into 1st week of Decemeber.

Anyone interested in a short 3-4 day trip either from  Yosemite or
somewhere on the East-side of the Sierra, say Bishop or Mamouth, CA?
The snow "dusting" is quite beautiful.

--RIch

PS-

I will be glad to lead/help out with gear and techniques if there is anyone
wanting to do their "first winter hike". Basically you need of course at
least a 0 degree
sleeping bag and have some ice-axe experience. Possibly use crampons but
snowshoes with 6 or 8 points work well.

This is my 10th year of snow hiking/climbing/backpacking with a lot on the
frozen JMT and
PCT. No bugs, the California storms are gentle for the most part, the snow
is the
classic Sierra "cement" and is easy to walk on with snowshoes. The quiet and
calm of the winter is nothing short of another "world" which is quite
spectacular!

My favorite areas (and IMHO most beautiful) are Yosemite out to Little
Yosemite Valley,
then Dana Peak, and  June Lake.

Drop me  a line. The challenges are worth it, as I have never grown more than
facing some of the things winter can toss at you and overcoming them. (he said
modestly :-)) )