Re: [pct-l] Growth and Gunshots in the desert

In a message dated 11/19/99 11:49:47 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
calliger@infolane.com writes:

<<
 >I'm not complaining, just telling it like it is.

 That is not what you wrote.

 I quote:  No other complaints,  Sly  : )>>

Very good, you did get me on that one.

 <>

No!  It's not like that.  I came across a fire five miles before KM off the
trail and went to check it out.  There was little I could do, my hiking
partner, who was behind me and still on the PCT and when I got back I
mentioned too bad we didn't have a cell phone.  His response, was he just
tried to make a call and couldn't get a signal.  I had no idea he was
carrying and never put it in my face.

<< Very subjective issue as one does not complain if two people are talking
loudly
 next to you.. Phone call only lasts little while, no sense complaining jsut
 move down trail.>>

I didn't complain and I did move down the trail.  I do have some manners
though, I wouldn't sit down next to anyone and make a phone call, anywhere,
unless I asked first.

 <<People are complaining
 unfairly and giving cell phone users bad rap.  Common sense not involved if
you
 have to evacuate someone who fell becasue rope or pro broke. Cell phones
 are lifesavers.  Usually those who do not have them complain the "loudest"