[pct-l] Re: TVP

As someone who has watched the market for 'preparedness items' for a couple
decades off and on, I'm going to bet that (assuming we come through Y2K just
peachy) there will be a lot of barely-used freeze dried food on the resale
market this spring. Not to mention that as demand has gone up prices were at
least for a while pretty badly inflated. I'm not sure if that has tapered
off at this point or if it continues to climb, and I haven't been tracking
specifically enough to say about the prices mentioned below.

But I'm still betting that if you're willing to work with #10 cans of
nitrogen packed FD beans, corn, peas, tvp, etc. etc., you'll be able to pick
them up at better prices early next year. ;)

You can also shop around for bulk deals on FD meals.. still kind of pricey..
but at 4-6 bucks.. no more than the drive through and less than most meals
out. I'm a definite fan of Mountain House stuff.. and while I sure wouldn't
try to provision a long hike on them alone, I'd sure throw some in. I'm
surprised that I haven't seen them mentioned even for variety on anyone's
provisions list.

Thanks to you all for the inputs here, pretty decent signal to noise ratio,
it's helped my shorter hikes and helped my .. thinking about longer hikes..

-- Erik, maybe in 2003 to 2006 range? we'll see. :)