RE: [pct-l] Tent vs Bivy Sack

Ty writes >> I would like to know if it would be wiser to go with a tent
versus a bivy sack?

Could you please suggest a good one in either of these categories?  I
have already looked a couple of the OR bivy sacks.  Their Basic
weighs in at about 16 oz and their Standard is about 1 lb 4 oz. <<

Well as you can see from the other respondents, there are no real definitive
answers. So before I decided to respond, I checked my archives and
discovered that you've yet to do and overnight hike.

I can image this whole process is a bit overwhelming. Well don't worry, it's
confusing to me and I've got a few more hikes in than you. Even though we
talk about equipment here a lot. It's a whole lot less important than a good
attitude and lots of flexibility. Just understand you'll make lots of
mistakes and don't sweat it. There will probably be lots of people on the
trail in the early stages to help you sort things out. (Assuming you're not
a butt head and piss them off. Which you don't appear to be.)

I'd read as much as I can and get lots of opinions. It would be good to be
somewhat conservative in choice of equipment. The standard backpacking
equipment is generally fine and will defiantly get you there.

Lightweight gear is fine, but you've got enough to learn. Although I met one
of last years thru-hikers who when ultralight with less than a week of total
hiking experience. He made lots of mistakes but still found Manning.

A good source of info is the Lynne Whelden's - How to Hike the PCT - video
for $39.95. It's available on the PCTA website. You'll hear lots of ideas
from different people about different styles of hiking. It covers everything
from tents, packs, stoves, food, cooking, water, towns and clothes.  Plus a
bunch more.

Now as to tents vs. bivys, most people I've seen that carry bivy's also
carry a tarp. I bivy is just no fun if you have to spend 18 hours in it
waiting until the following morning to get moving. Still if it was my first
trip, I'd take a tent. It's a bit more forgiving if you make mistakes.
However, it's not totally foolproof. Don't assume that just because you have
one, you won't wake up some morning in a swimming pool. If you set it up in
a dry river bed, I'll flood when it rains.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
Fallingwater Journals - www.fallingwater.com
Pacific Crest Trail Assoc. - www.pcta.org
American Long Distance Hikers Association - West -
www.gorp.com/nonprof/aldhaw