Re: [pct-l] Alcohol Stove

Ron, I ate very well, and never tired of my dinners (I had 19 different
dinner menus).  This is all in the archives.  I made most of my dinners
from scratch (dried a lot of veggies). I will add a chicken or beef gravy
to some of the mixes next time for the salt and a litttle more flavor.  I
started to crave salty soups.  Unlike most other hikers, I did not eat
oatmeal, rice, regular noodles (used some korean noodles), spagetti(used
stuffed pasta), or peanut butter.  	About one third of the dinners were
corn based (fish chowder, tamale pie, soup, chicken korma, Kofta
meatballs).  I do not like corn pasta, but the corn meal provides  more of
a whole food than noodles or rice and is fresher than corn pasta which to
me always tastes slightly rancid.  The remaining dinners meals were about
one third potatoe based and one third wheat flour based.

I soaked my dinners by putting them in a Gladware bowl(takes heat, and is
disposible; I had a set in about every 5th resupply) about 2-3 hours before
cooking.  Often the cooking was just heating the mix up.

I began carrying olive oil at Sierra city, and found that it improved the
taste of my dinners immensely.  I also feel that I needed the extra oil.

I might give esbit another try, but really disliked the fumes, and QUESTION
THE TOXICITY.  But the alcohol stove never failed me.  I built 3 alcohol
stoves and they never performed as well as the Sigg(I did boil times for
all three in the garage before I left)

Goforth