Re: [pct-l] Stove Choices

Great review of stove options!  No one stove does everything, and the idea of
carrying different equipment for different parts of a thruhike doesn't apply
only to sleeping bags or tents.

Yes, I also have a couple of Svea 123's.  They don't quit but they sure are
noisy!  My prize, though, is a Coleman No. 530 "G.I." Pocket Stove, purchased
in 1948.  It was "tuned up" by Coleman in 1974 (March 25th to be exact) and
again in July 1980.  Coleman has always stood behind their products.

Anyway, this stove weighs 4 pounds with a pint of gas fuel and is a work of
art, nickel plated brass and stainless steel.  The carrying case breaks down
to two aluminum pots, 1.5 and 3 pint capacities.  The instruction book says
it is as, "easy to carry as a quart size can of food...", and they're right.
If I did canoe camping it would still be an option.

Does anyone on the list have "antique" hiking gear they would like to talk
about?  It's very  interesting and helps us remind ourselves how far our
equipment options have advanced over the years.  We are indeed fortunate to
have synthetic fleece and Gortex!