Re: [pct-l] Super Nifty Stove

the stove you saw sounds like the Trangia Westwind Alcohol Stove, made in
Sweden, distributed by MSR. It retails for about $20, like you said. but it
doesn't boil a pint that fast, maybe a cup. that's what i used from Tahoe to
the Columbia River, when i made my own from a Hersheys Chocolate Syrup can.

> In a message dated 11/3/1999 5:08:26 PM PST, ronm@fallingwater.com writes:
>
> << In all the pages for other alcohol stoves, boil times were approximately
> 5 minutes for 2 pints of room temperature water. What exactly is room
> temperature? In my test the starting and ending water temps were 60 and
> 220 degrees respectively. I was using good old tap water. >>
>
> The comparisons I've seen use 1 pint (2 cups) of cold tap water.  You're
> right, the starting temperature has to effect the results some.  You also
> have to decide exactly when the pot's really boiling.  Of course, covering
> the pot improves the boil time, and also keeps you from anticipating.  Call
> it boiling when you get a good puff of steam from under the lid.  My stove
> boils a pint in 4 to 5 minutes.  I saw a commercially-built alcohol stove
> this summer in Stehekin of all places, which said on the box that it would
> boil a pint in 4-5 minutes.  It cost about $20 and I had no immediate need,
> so I didn't buy it.  Looked pretty, though.  It was made of brass and
> probably weighed 6 oz?  Unfortunately, I don't recall the name on the box.  A
> side-by-side test would have been interesting.

This message was sent from Connect Express, Inc..
http://www.connectexpress.net/