[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #918

Ron,

I took a peek at your web page.  A couple of suggestions.

Water filter. You didn't say what you were using for a water filter
(maybe you didn't use one?) but I highly recommend the one I used.  It's
an inline filter from safewateranywhere.com that I spliced into the
drinking tube coming from my platypus bag.  Weighs about 3 oz and there
are no moving parts, nothing to break.  The specs are the same as any of
the other the carbon filter alternatives and two of them (at $25/each)
lasted the whole trip.

Sleeping bag.  I like your quilt concept.  Be sure to test it out in
20-25 degree weather because there will be nights in that range in the
High Sierra and in N. WA.

Rain.  Try a poncho.  I made one out of 1.1oz silicone coated nylon and
was very happy with it. I think it weighed about 7oz or so - certainly
comparable to an umbrella - but provided much more protection for both my
body and my gear.  The umbrella will be useless in the wet brush. The
poncho is also an emergency shelter in case your tarp fails.

Stove.  Did you mention one.  Esbit? Alcohol?  I loved my Esbit but be
sure to use a good windscreen (I borrowed the windscreen from my MSR).

Shoes.  I liked my New Balance shoes too.  My feet really spread out
during the hike and I switched to "4E" width.  Never had any feet
problems after that.  If you can afford it, change your shoes every
300-350 miles.  Your feet will be much less sore.

Training. I think it helped me a lot to train before the hike.  I'm
convinced that I avoided stress injuries by being in really good shape
before I left. Others I met bairly trained at all and made it just fine.
Either way, I recommend taking the first couple of weeks a little easier
to let your body get used to the trail.

Henry