[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #898

Great story on the goat rocks Brian. There was a shelter there bearing the
dead girl's name ( I think Dana Yarburough or something close ) I don,t  know
if the shelter is still there , South of Old Snowy a few hundred feet. I had
heard it was slated to come down. The powers in charge destroyed most of the
shelters in the Olympics during the mid to late 70's that had been built by
the CCC's in the 30's. These shelters were a God Send to the winter traveler
as you had a chance to spread out your gear and dry out. They did this to try
to help out overused camp areas. It did instead backfire causing camping  (
and campfire rings ) all along the trail. At least the shelters contained
overuse to small areas. The memorial shelter by Old Snowy is in a great spot
and has helped out many hikers that  may have parished as well.P.S. This is
another subject that gets me--- I hiker was lost for 5 days in the Olympics 2
weeks ago. Park Service spent 30,000 dollars looking for him , which they did
find him. The paper blew it up saying we tax payers spend 30,000 for some
dumb hiker. I have a problem with this!!!! The hiker is a tax payer and the
30,000 is our money, not the goverments. The park service's job is to serve
us. The hiker payed his 10 dollar permit, plus five bucks per night  fee,
plus 10 to to enter the park. The Park Service could easily take one or two
dollars out of the permit fees they rat hole out of us and put it into a
insurance plan or built a rescue fund of their own. Major rescues like this
only happen a few times each year. Mount Rainier just lost their regular
resue helicopter and highly trained crew. ( which will be replaced be
week-end warriors who may sell you insurance the following week ) These are
our shelters, parks and trails. The diiferent gov. agencies should be here to
serve, not wine about some rescue bill or rip out shelters ( made of stone
and very low maintance ) Our Park  Service is just a bunch of Nambee Pambee's