[pct-l] Slow training

<<
What I am saying is that starting at a pace of 10 miles per day, or even
less, will increase your physical  wellbeing allowing you to hike more
miles later while starting out at 20 miles, or more, will degrade your
physical wellbeing causing you to be unable to walk later.

I agree with the general notion of starting out slowly and building up, and
also with Joanne's statement that a PCT thru-hike wants to have a fairly
long conditioning base.

I spent last year working 60-75 h/week and no exercise, then spent from
December '98-on building up slowly for the PCT in '99.  Although I wasn't
able to go for the PCT this year, I kept training until I went on a 7-day
test of Jardine-like techniques in the Adirondacks.  I put in around 1300
miles building up for a 122-mile trail!   The 7-day went fine at about 18
miles per day, but I was experiencing a little breakdown at about day 6,
especially on the rougher sections of trail.  But I recovered just a day or
so after the trip was over. I also compared that hike with the previous two
times I've hiked it using heavy-pack/boot techniques and found that I
suffered a lot less this time, even though I'm 15 years older and hiked
nearly twice as far each day.

I figure that if I can keep extending my training base, and start the
ramp-up a month before PCT 2000, then I will have both started slow and can
start the PCT at 15-20 m/day.  That's a year and a half base of focused,
careful training; hopefully that plus the extensive footwear
experimentation I've done over the last 5 years and severe pack-lightening
will mitigate the leg and foot problems I had on the PCT in '94.

-- Dave Stockton

David B. Stockton
davstock@tiac.net