[pct-l] Re: Flea and Tick Treatment

> From: "ROBERT E RIESS" <CDRRIESS@prodigy.net>

> With those cautions read and understood, I still wonder if this or a similar
> product would be effective against fleas and ticks for backpackers if it
> could be applied in a legal and safe manner.  The active ingredient is
> Permethrin 45%.  I read the Pesticide Information Profile, which indicates
> it is a very safe substance, even when injested by dogs and mice in
> incedibly high doses.

According to a leaflet from Sawyer, a maker of both DEET and Permethrin
products:
"As a treatment for clothing, Permethrin can be effective for up to two
weeks per application.  While not harmful to humans or pets, your skin
rapidly neutralizes Permethrin making skin applications of no value."

On dogs I suppose the stuff adheres to the fur, or else their skin
chemistry is enough different.  For example dogs don't sweat.
There are a number of pet flea and/or tick treatments that applied at the
shoulders (where the dog can't lick) and last a month or more.  They use
different chemicals to harm the insects, with the cheapest ones using
Permethrin.  But I suspect they all use the same, or similar, carriers;
something that's tailored to fur, and maybe dog fur in particular.  At
best on humans they might work when applied to the hair.

Paul