[pct-l] Doxycycline, ticks and Lyme Disease

At 10:55 AM 5/28/99 -0600, Marge Prothman wrote:
>I carry in my first aid kit for Bulls eyes Tick Bites
>  Doxycycline Hycate 50mg

That is the recommended treatment, but only about half of the infections
seem to cause the traditional "bulls eye" around the bite, so that may not
be a good way to determine infections. The CDC says that the tick has to be
attached to your body for 12-36 hours to infect you, so if you catch it
early you probably don't need to take it. Add that to the low incidence of
Lyme in the west, and odds are pretty low.

Remember that Doxycycline makes you sunburn MUCH easier so be VERY careful
of sun exposure if you take it, even if you were well adapted before you
started taking the drug....