Re: [pct-l] Independence resupply

Cheryl Wernli wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone has hiked the Kearsarge Pass Trail to Onion Valley.
> Is it well marked?  It is about 9 miles and climbs to 11,200
> elevation...is the hike's difficulty comparable to the PCT?  Will I
> easily find the trail head junction from the PCT?  How about bears?

I did a resupply at Onion Valley in 1998.  The Kearsarge Pass Trail is
well marked, well maintained, and gets a lot of weekend traffic.  It
approaches the pass from both sides in a steady moderate grade,
comparatively easy after Forester Pass the day before.  I had arranged a
resupply rendezvous at the trailhead parking lot, so I camped at
Kearsarge Lakes the night before, slack-packed over to Onion valley in
the morning, and returned the same day, only a 15 mile roundtrip from
the lakes.  Bears are an issue on both sides of the pass.  However, the
good news is there are several bear boxes along Bubb's Creek and at
Kearsarge Lakes.