[pct-l] Foot Problems

Looking at the foot problems reported in the posts and journals of the '99
hopefuls leads me to believe that most are trying to go too far too fast. I
watched the herd leave Lake Morena and have since read their posts. They are
moving awefully fast for the start of a 2600 mile trip.

I try to walk short the first couple of days on the trail until my feed toughen
up. The foot setup for 5-7 mile first day hikes simply won't work for 20 mile
days, day after day. My personal experience is that you can add 5 miles per day
after a week. My guess is that you could add another 5 miles per day after
another week and 5 miles a day after the third week. In a month I would be up to
20 miles per day without feet problems. With this approach it would take me two
(2) weeks to get to Scissors Crossings but I would not be dropping out for a
[foot] rest at Idylyide.