Re: [pct-l] Horses, Mules etc, al

:It seems that every time horses or mules come up this list goes non-linear.
: I resemble this remark myself.

:-)  Yes, I know what you mean.

At a gut (and nose) level, I do not enjoy hiking through horse, mule, dog,
human, or any other kind of shit on the trail. However, as long as each of
these are on a section of trail where they are legally allowed to be, I
defend their right to be there. If you don't like it, do your work as a
citizen to get the laws and regulations changed. If you don't at first
succeed, repeat to yourself until you feel better, "I live in a democracy. I
believe in the constitution." Then continue with more and different efforts.

(Speaking of human shit on the trail, once, hiking in the Presidentials in
the White Mountains of New Hampshire, my husband came upon a guy squatting
literally on the trail taking his morning dump! Seconds later a ranger came
by and gave the guy a ticket!! Rarely do we enjoy such instantaneous
administrative satisfaction on the trail!)

However, I have frequently been amazed at the things horsepersons riding
horses in the backcountry will say. For example, in Colorado last summer, a
young woman riding a horse leading a bunch of tourists on horses, was
extremely unhappy with my presence on the trail. She explained that her
horse was afraid of backpacks today; that when she was saddling up her horse
that morning, she noticed that he was displaying a fear of a backpack that
someone was carrying nearby. So, basically, I should have not been there, or
if I *had* to be there, I should push my way far from the trail through the
underbrush so her horse wouldn't be spooked. Excuse me?!? I had backpacked
something like 300 miles to get to that point -- she had been riding for
maybe an hour. Tell me, horsefolks, why someone would ride a horse that is
afraid of backpacks on a backcountry trail? Anyway, I moved as far away as I
was willing to and waited for her and the five others to go by, wondering
exactly how much control those completely inexperienced riders had over
their mounts.

I'm also always extremely fascinated by the thought process that leads to
horsepersons saying that I should not move to the side of the trail above
the horse because the horse might get spooked and slip and fall down the
lower side. So, what, I should move *below* the horse so it might get
spooked and slip and fall on me? It's a theory.

The question that I often find myself asking is how on earth horses were
used as transportation in the exploration of this country when they seem to
be scared of every damn thing. Some friends who have horses had to walk them
*backwards* past some llamas, because they wouldn't go past if they could
see the llamas!

Karen