[pct-l] Re: Toulumne Meadows PO

Trailsweep@aol.com said:

>>Question....  If I get to Tuolomne Meadows and the PO is
still closed due to a late seasonal start, what/how/ suggestions to get the
expected mail drop?<<

I came through Tuolumne Meadows on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend
to find it closed.  I hitchhiked into Yosemite Valley to find the PO closed
for the long weekend only 5 minutes before.  I had no money, no food, holes
in my socks, etc., etc. All these resided behind locked doors in a
cardboard box, waiting for me.

A ranger loaned me $20 upon hearing my predicament and that I was a thru
hiker on the PCT.  I paid him back a few days later after hitchhiking out
to San Fran and back.  He said he wasn't expecting it back.  I said I
intended to pay it back so it would be available to the next PCT'er
through!  It is amazing how total strangers see the value of such a journey
and offer help without concern.

99'ers, please don't take advantage of anyone's generosity without showing
gratitude.  All those that follow you depend upon your actions or lack
thereof.

Greg "Strider" Hummel