RE: [pct-l] more on ultralight

>In a message dated 4/14/99 2:40:42 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
>brian.robinson@compaq.com writes:
>
><< You should carry an ice ax at least from Mt. Whitney
> (H1) to Donohue Pass (H22).  You might want it in other areas depending on
> the year.  Unless the snow melts fast, '99ers may need the ax through
Sonora
> Pass (I10).  >>
>
>I always intended on carrying an ax through this section, so that's no
>problem. However, I know it's been mentioned before, but what are the other

>sections that I may be needing it in southern Cal.?  What were the towns
and
>PO's that are the best to switch in and out of again?
>
>Thanks, Sly

According to '98ers journals, Fuller Ridge on Mt. San Jacinto (B10) was a
strong candidate.  Light snowfall in the south makes it unlikely that '99
will be similar.  However, the northern PCT has a record snow-pack this
year.  An ax may be needed in places where it's never been needed before.  I
hope not, because I'm hiking from Crater Lake to Manning starting mid-July.
I won't be packing my ax, but I can have it sent to me.

Brian