RE: [pct-l] more on ultralight

Hi Karen,

I'm glad to hear the 40 pounds includes food and water.  Plenty of people
have completed the PCT with a pack weight similar to yours.  I may be a
semi-Jardinite now, but on day 1 in Campo my pack weighed 53 pounds ;-)

I'm concerned about your lack of experience with steep icy snow.  Some
people make it through the Sierra in June without an ice ax, but frankly
they're risking a bad fall.

An example of what you'll run into, even in a good year like '97, can be
seen on my web page at http://www.accesscom.com/~kkbunya/pct/PhotoFrm.html
Look at the top photo in set 12.  That's Traildad on the PCT at Forester
Pass (H3) on 6/25/97.  You should carry an ice ax at least from Mt. Whitney
(H1) to Donohue Pass (H22).  You might want it in other areas depending on
the year.  Unless the snow melts fast, '99ers may need the ax through Sonora
Pass (I10).  You should also know how to use one to stop a fall.

Brian